Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Banana Bread w/ Streusel Topping

There is nothing better than a warm slice of homemade banana bread smothered with butter.  This is one my FAVORITE recipes to use when I have any extra brown bananas on hand.  I LOVE adding chocolate chips to the batter, but my husband prefers it just plain.  The streusel topping adds an extra sweetness and makes the banana bread that much more SATISFYING when you have a real sweet tooth on hand!


Ingredients:

2 C flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
1 C sugar
2 bananas, mashed
1/2 C oil
Streusel Topping

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease bottom and sides of one 9X5 inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.  
Mix well and set aside.
In another bowl, combine sugar, eggs, bananas and oil.  
Add banana mixture to the flour mixture and mix until lumpy.
Pour batter into pan and sprinkle with Streusel Topping.
Bake for about 60 minutes or until toothpick, inserted in center of loaf, comes out clean.

Streusel Topping

Ingredients:

3 T flour
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 t cinnamon
2 T butter

Directions:

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium size bowl.
Cut butter into mixture using a fork.
Mix until crumbly.



2 comments:

  1. So I am baking this right now. Once I saw this I just started craving it and had to have it. :) I make banana bread all of the time just not with the streusel topping. I used my banana bread recipe and your streusel recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    Also, just a hint on mashing bananas... mash them with your hands while they are still in their peel then cut one end and push out. Saves time and in some cases makes one less bowl to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was soo good! Next time I need to either get a larger loaf pan or reduce the size of banana bread batter. I had a little spill over but with that, some of the topping went into the middle of the banana bread. That gave me a little idea for future banana breads, swirling a little of the topping in the inside.

    ReplyDelete