Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sweet Potato Waffles

I LOVE sweet potatoes and find myself mixing them into just about ANYTHING... mac & cheese, spaghetti sauce, ect.  I really think it is one of the GREATEST most FLAVORFUL vegetables out there and I love the fact that it is SWEET.  When I found this recipe on recipezaar.com, I was SUPER excited!  It seriously made the BEST waffles and reminded me, a lot, like pumpkin waffles.  This recipe made probably about 6 full sized round waffles which meant I had some leftovers on hand, SCORE!  I froze what was leftover and for my son's breakfast each morning, I put 2 sections in the microwave for about 30 seconds, then pop them right into the toaster.  Who needs Eggos anymore when you have these sweet, delicious and nutritious waffles on hand? 


Waffles

Ingredients:

1 C whole wheat flour
1 C white flour
4 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t clove
1/4 t nutmeg
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 C milk
1 C sweet potato puree
3 T oil
1 T sugar

Directions:

Mix first 6 ingredients (dry ingredients) on bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix egg yolks, milk, sweet potato and oil (wet ingredients).
Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients; stir until moistened.
Beat egg whites with mixer until soft peaks form; add sugar until stiff peaks form.
Fold egg white mixture into the rest of the batter.  
Pour mixture into waffle maker and you are done!
(These waffles are super yummy topped off with buttermilk syrup!)

Buttermilk Syrup

Ingredients:

1 1/2 C white sugar
3/4 C buttermilk
1/2 C butter
2 T corn syrup
1 t baking soda
2 t vanilla

Directions:

Cook sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup and baking soda.
Bring to boil and cook 7 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment