Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Enchiladas

Enchiladas were a family staple growing up, and I sometimes wish that I could eat them EVERYDAY! I still remember all the times my mother would tell me the story of how these were a favorite of my great-grandmothers while she would watch her fry the corn tortillas on the stove. There is just something about freshly made enchiladas that puts a smile on my face! Mmmm...! :)

These are SO VERSATILE and this is just the basic recipe that my mother taught me. They also make for a great meal to take to people for dinner.




Ingredients:

Corn Tortillas
Oil
Shredded beef, chicken, or ground beef (cooked with pepper and garlic salt...for the filling)
Onion, chopped
Green Pepper, chopped
Red Enchilada Sauce (homemade or canned)-my favorite is Old El Paso's medium
8 oz can Tomato Sauce and/or 14.5 oz can Cheddar Cheese Soup
Shredded Cheddar Cheese or mexican cheese

Directions:

Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat
Fry the torillas one at a time in the oil. Once the tortilla starts to bubble, flip it over (about 8 seconds on each side)
Place the cooked tortillas on a plate separating each one with a napkin
In another pan, either cook or reheat the meat
Add the onions and peppers and cook for about 5 minutes or until veggies soften
To assemble take one tortilla and fill with a spoonful of the meat mixture (or if you want meatless, fill with cooked beans or just cheese). Sprinkle with a little cheese and roll up as tightly as possible. Place in a lightly greased pan and continue till you have made enough for the amount of people you are serving.
In a mixing bowl, pour in the Red Enchilada Sauce and tomato sauce and stir until combined. (If you want to have a more creamier sauce, add the Cheddar Cheese soup can. Pour it over the rolled up tortillas and top with more cheese, onions/peppers, olives. Bake at 350 until nice a bubbly.
*I usually make a double pan and freeze one for a later use.
*If you want to use up your remaining corn torillas, cut them up and fry in some oil for
homemade chips!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds great!! And I just bought some chicken today! Enchilada's for dinner! YAY!

    ReplyDelete