Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Mama Taylor's Homemade Rolls

When I first graduated high school, I was determined to learn how to cook.  I realized then that if I didn't start practicing, that I wouldn't know what in the world I was doing in the kitchen once I met the man of my dreams and got married.  So, my first goal was to learn how to make my mom's super YUMMY rolls. This recipe is super EASY and SIMPLE. I have to admit though,  it took me a couple of batches for my rolls to turn out just the way I wanted them to.  When it comes to rolls and breads, you have to keep at it!  If your first batch doesn't turn out the way you hoped it would, try again.  Once you get the hang of it you will be a PRO when it comes to homemade rolls and breads!  These are definitely worth the effort.  Just pair these puppies up with some homemade honey butter and you will be in HEAVEN!




Ingredients:

1 1/4 C warm water
2 1/4 t active dry yeast
1 t brown sugar
1/2 t salt
1/4 C oil
1/4 C sugar
1 egg
4 C flour

Directions:

Dissolve yeast and brown sugar in the warm water.
Mix in salt, oil and sugar.
Add 2 cups of flour, mix.
Mix in the egg.
Add the rest of the flour and mix well.
Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise 2 hours.
Spray 2 jelly roll pans (or 9x13 dish- whatever you have).
Punch down and remove the dough from bowl onto a floured surface.
Add a little flour if needed then divide dough into fourths.
Roll 1/4 of dough out at a time into a circle and cut dough into 6 slices.
Roll each slice up into a crescent shape and place on pan.
Cover with a towel and allow to rise 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
Bake in preheated 400 degree over for 7 - 9 minutes, until lightly golden.

Honey Butter:

1/2 C butter, softened
1/4 C honey

Directions:

Mix well.  If you like your butter a little sweeter, then add more honey to your liking!



No comments:

Post a Comment