Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Guilt-Free Mommy Muffins

I am not a huge breakfast eater, and every morning usually go for the more simpler foods like fruit, smoothies, oatmeal, etc.  I found this recipe for whole wheat banana muffins online that I love.  We always have left over brown bananas in our house and I use to use them to make banana bread.  I would make one or two whole loaves and would always feel guilty about eating it because of all of the fat and calories.  I am the type of baker where it has to be ALL or NOTHING.  Either it is super healthy or super fattening.  Anyways, so I found this recipe and I make between 1-2 batches a week and store them either in the refrigerator or freezer.  They are great as a quick on the go breakfast or snack.  They are also totally satisfying and healthy.  The muffins, of course, aren't as flavorful as regular banana bread, but they seem to do the trick for me and my son just LOVES them.  Hope you enjoy this super healthy quick breakfast or snack option!


Dry Ingredients:
1 1/4 C whole wheat flour
2 T wheat germ (optional)
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon (optional)

Wet Ingredients:
2 egg whites
1 banana, mashed
1/2 C plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 C applesauce
1 T honey
1 T molasses 
1 t almond extract (could use vanilla as well)

Topping:
regular oats

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease muffin tins with cooking spray.
2) In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients.  Set aside.
3) In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients.
4) Gradually beat in dry ingredient mixture and stir until blended.  Batter should be lumpy.
5) Pour into muffin tins and sprinkle tops with oats.
6) Bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7) Remove muffins from pan and allow them to cool on wire rack.  



No comments:

Post a Comment